Friday 4 July 2008

Facebook Plea


You know its a sad day when you put a sort code and account number in your facebook profile and ask friends to give toward your tuition fees, but that day has come.  I figured if i have 396 friends and each one gave me £10 I could pay my fees EASY :) and even if they don't it was worth a shot, right?  Well I'll sure as hell let you know... So I guess it may be an idea to give you guys all an outline of what it is I intend to do in this my 3rd and 4th degrees then eh?
My faith is very important to me, and more than that, that the out workings of my life are concomitant with that faith stand point.  Christian Ethics is a growing and important field and my interest in environmental care is one that has been with me for many years.  I feel that society takes things for granted.  We get upset when the water board makes a mistake and our water stops for a little while, but how often do we give a thought, on an ordinary day, to those without water.  We are angry when the video games store runs out of the newest play station game, but how often to we give a thought to those who don’t even know how to play as they are too busy working to survive.  We get frustrated with the fuel prices rise as it means that holidays will be too expensive, but how often do we give a thought to those who will never leave their hometowns because they are stripped of even their most basic human rights.  Jesus taught us to love our neighbour and it seems that that has become a very narrow thing for some Christians and faith groups.  My goal with my research is to look at why individuals, specifically Christians, feel the need to fill their lives with material objects and consume to the extent which they do.  I want to look at ethically how looking after the environment is also a justice issue and something that we must do if we are to love our neighbour as ourselves.  I feel that it is important that we begin to look back to the gospels and focus less on others interpretations of them and more on what we were taught as disciples and followers of Jesus.  While my main focus will be environmental care and trying to construct a Christian ethic that moves away from a stewardship model toward a Christocentric approach focussed on neighbour love I do intend to look also at the consumer market and to discuss what consequences being a consumer has for Christians and indeed the importance of being a conscious, responsible consumer.


My hope is that with my life experience, my different educational experiences and my desire to make a difference that I will be able to write in a way that will inspire others to make a difference.  Its our world and there needs to be a voice that will call us to action to make it the world we want it to be, to make it look the way God calls us to make it look - while I am not arrogant enough to assume that I am that voice, I think that the Theophany is heard through all of God’s people making a difference and I believe that it is important that we start where ever we can.  So I plan to start here. 

So there you have it... This is my plan and this is why I need help... God willing, I'll get it..

No comments: